Saturday, November 1, 2008

Music to My Ears

Last weekend I went to several music concerts of different genres. Beginning the evening of Thursday, October 23, I went to the Yael Naim concert at the Chicago House of Blues. The Paris born Israeli raised singer-songwriter performed her soothing folk and pop songs while connecting with the eclectic audience. Her comfort with the audience was so natural, that she stopped the show due to an impulsive and distracting cough and even went so far as laying on the wooden floor of the stage in her flowing white dress (not sure what she was trying to accomplish here). Nonetheless, I was moved by her performance. My favorite performance was her popular song "New Soul" which was used by Apple in an advertising campaign for its MacBook Air in 2008.

The next evening, I attended the Lucinda Williams concert at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago. Though I was not familiar with Lucinda Willam's music, I am a big fan of the genre of music of which she performs. Her folky and at times twangy voice reminded me of pop musician Stevie Nicks (from Fleetwood Mac). I was immediately drawn to her compelling and moving lyrics, story telling, and music. When listening to her songs I felt as if I was in those stories for the moment.

Lastly, on Saturday night, I experienced the eclectic Ears and Eyes Festival at the Chicago hidden gem music venue The Hideout. My favorite performance that evening hands down was the rock and electronica hybrid DNumbers. I also heard bits and pieces of the Bjork-like Via Tania performance and loved that as well. I can't believe that this was my first time at The Hideout having been living in Chicago for nearly eight years. Shame on me! I can't wait to go back!

There are several Chicago music venues that I could walk into without knowing who was performing and be confident that the talent would be nothing less than amazing. Those venues are: The Hideout, Schubas, Martyrs, Park West, and the Hot House. I also freqent The Chicago Theatre and the Riviera Theatre.

No comments: